Pages

Thursday 30 January 2014

Skill Builder BOM 2013



I finally had some time to try to photograph my Skill Builder BOM in the daylight! I say try cause this quilt is BIG! We made great use of the kids trampoline and my tall hubby on a chair. Still the wind decided to pick up, then the dog tried to photo bomb - I think this is the closest I am getting to photograph it!



I started the Skill Builder BOM last year as I mainly wanted to "try" free motion quilting and develop some other skills. Well I can say I am thoroughly addicted to it now (and glue basting!). I was only using scraps for this quilt as my main aim was to develop skills. I used a palette of pinks, blues, yellows and greys. Now I am certainly not a pink fan so I originally never intended to keep it. Now I cannot part with it! It is like a catalogue of free motion stitches for me, as every block in the border is done differently. You can certainly see how my confidence was built throughout the quilt.


It was mostly all scraps - the exception being the grey and backing which was yardage in my stash. I got to the border stage and I almost didn't put it on as I had run out of the grey yardage. I was visiting my hometown over Christmas and I knew I had originally bought it from Spotlight, and they were having 40% off so I bought some more yardage. Then got back to Sydney to discover that it was a different shade of grey! I ummmed and arrrred and then decided to continue with the border. I made the joining binding strip a different colour to seperate the greys. I love how it looks now!

I had so much fun making this quilt. I definitely think the Quilt As You Go method is great for larger quilts that I find difficult to quilt on my little janome. Big thanks to Alyssa for such an awesome pattern! Now bring on the Skill Builder 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment